PLACES OF WORSHIP
- St. Clements Parish Church; Rev. Thomas Lloyd Williams B.A. vicar; Rev. John Llewellyn Davies B.A. curate; William Saph, hon, lay reader; 11am & 6.30pm; thurs 7pm
St. Clement's (now the parish church) erected in 1866, at a cost of £3,000, from the designs of the late Mr. John Prichard, architect, of Llandaff, is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, transepts, two chapels, south porch and a turret at the junction of the nave and chancel, containing 2 bells; in the chancel are three stained widows [sic], including one given by the late Phillip William Flower esq. in 1881, and two erected as memorials to the Rev. David Lewis M.A. vicar 1863-1902; the reredos was erected in 1890, at a cost of about £150, by the parishioners and friends of the Rev. David Lewis M.A. to commemorate his 25th year as vicar; an altar cloth was presented by G.H. Davey esq.; the organ cost £600; the church was inclosed in 1880 with iron railings and gates facing the Neath road, the gift of G.H. Davey esq.; in 1893 a new pulpit of Caen stone was erected, and in 1900 a new choir vestry was added; there are 485 sitttings. The register dates from the year 1667.
- St. John's Chapel of Ease, Giant's Grave; 11am & 6.30pm; tues 7pm
The Mission church of St. John the Baptist, Giant's Grave, erected in 1878, at a cost of £601, is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, western porch and a turret containing one bell: there are 150 sittings.
- St. Mary's; Rev. Lewis Henry Walters B.A. vicar; 8, 10 & 11.15am & 6pm; tues. 7pm; wed 7.30pm
The church of St. Mary, formerly a chapel of ease to St. Clement's, was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, 1891-2, at a cost of £1,775; it is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and am embattled western tower, containing 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1913. There are 500 sittings.
- St. Thomas's Mission Church, Neath rd.; 10am & 6.30pm; thurs 7.30pm
St. Thomas' mission church, Neath road, erected in 1881, is a plain stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret, with spire containing one bell, there are 150 sittings.
- Baptist, Neath road (Jerusalem), built 1863, Rev. Rees Powell; 11am & 6pm; mon & wed 7.15pm [675 seats]
- Baptist (Welsh) (Rehoboh), Neath road, built 1848 & rebuilt 1861, Rev. Henry Hughes; 10.30am & 6pm; mon & thurs 7pm [850 seats]
- Baptist (Welsh) Vernon street (Salem), built 1875, Rev. Ivor Jones, 10.30am & 6pm; mon & thurs 7pm [800 seats]
- Calvinistic Methodist, built 1848, rebuilt 1879 (Welsh) (Bethel), Charles street; 10.30am & 6pm; thurs 7pm [700 seats]
- Calvinistic Methodist, built 1870 (Zoar), Giant's grave, 10.30am & 6pm; thurs 7pm [250 seats]
- Calvinistic Methodist (English), Old road, built 1906, Rev. Thomas Williams; 10.30am & 6pm; tues & thurs 7pm [350 seats]
- Calvinistic Methodist (Welsh), Neath road, built 1890; 10.30am & 6pm; thurs 7pm [500 seats]
- Congregational, Ritson street, built 1878, Rev. Thomas Gwyn Thomas; 11am & 6pm; tues 7.30pm [750 seats]
- Congregational, built 1849, rebuilt 1865 (Welsh), Church street, Rev. Thomas Hughes; 10.30am & 6pm; mon & thurs 7pm [640 seats]
- Wesleyan, Neath road (Neath Circuit), rebuilt 1908, 11am & 6pm; tues 7pm [250 seats]
- Davies, Rev. John Llewellyn B.A. (curate) Grandison street
- Hughes, Rev. Henry (Welsh Baptist), Dolcoed, Neath road
- Hughes, Rev. Thomas (Welsh Congregational), 263 Neath road
- Perrett John (Baptist), 1 Brynhyfryd crescent
- Powell Rev. Rees (English Baptist), 3 Court Sart terrace
- Thomas, Rev. Thomas Gwyn (Congregational), 53 Ynysmardy road
- Walters, Rev. Lewis Henry B.A. (vicar of St. Mary's) Mt Pleasant, Shelone road
- Williams, Rev. Thomas (Calvinistic Methodist), 13 Alexander road
- Williams, Rev. Thomas Lloyd B.A. (vicar & surrogate) The Vicarage